CLASSIC PUMPKIN PIE
is a sweet, dessert dish with a smooth texture and aromatic, sweetly
● 2 x 20cm sweet flan unbaked shortcrust pie base
● 2 eggs
● ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
● 1½ cups cooked, strained pumpkin
● 1 tsp freshly ground cinnamon
● ½ tsp salt
● ¼ tsp freshly ground cloves
● ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
● 1 cup milk
● ½ cup cream
Prepare two 20cm
shortcrust pie bases by making your own pastry, purchasing frozen pastry
or purchasing instant frozen pie shells.
Beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Add sugar, pumpkin,
seasoning, milk and cream, mix well after each addition. Pour out into
pie shell and bake in a preheated 450°F (230°C) oven for 10 minutes, then
reduce temperature to 350°F (180°C) for 45 minutes or until a knife
inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool before serving.
Decorate with a sprinkling of icing sugar and serve with whipped cream
or icecream. Each pie serves 8 people. Pumpkin pie will keep in the
refrigerator for a day or two.