● 8 medium waxy potatoes* (boiled and cubed)
● 5 medium onions
● 2 large green chillies (seed removed)
● 1 dessertspoon sugar
● 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
● 1 dessertspoon cumin seeds
● 1 handful coriander leaves
● 2 handfuls fresh, young chopped curry leaves
● 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
● ¾ teaspoon turmeric
● salt to taste
● Olive or peanut oil for frying
Peel and boil the
potatoes. Allow to cool, then cut into cubes (this can be done well in
advance if necessary).
Heat some oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and chopped curry
leaves. Cook for a few minutes on a medium heat to release the flavours.
Add the chillies and onions. Cook until onions are transparent.
Add the ginger, turmeric and all remaining ingredients. Cook for a few more
minutes until the potatoes are heated through. Serve hot as an
accompaniment to the main course, barbecues or curry dishes.
*Dutch Creams are my favourite potato variety.