● 1½ kg firm, ripe pawpaw, peeled and chopped
● 2 large cooking apples, peeled and chopped
● 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (400gm tinned tomatoes may be used)
● 1 cup white sugar (more if you like it sweet)
● 2 cups white vinegar
● 1 cup balsamic vinegar
● 1 teaspoon salt
● 2 freshly chopped chillies (or ½ teaspoon chilli powder)
● 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
● 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
● 1/2 teaspoon pimento
Place peppercorns and pimento in muslin cloth (or a
tea leaf infuser designed for a single cup of tea).
Combine this with all other ingredients in a large saucepan.
Stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, them simmer uncovered
for about one hour or until the mixture is thick. Discard muslin bag and
spoon hot mixture into sterilised jars.
This recipe is a modified version of that which appears in The Book of
Preserves published by the Australian Women's Weekly, available from most